DONALD C. LEE
To leverage my computer
networking and scripting skills in the delivery of a globally
and historically significant product.
- Author of Enhanced
IP Services for Cisco Networks, ISBN 1578701066,
Macmillan, 1999, Hardcover, 400 pages
- Covers routing, security, and quality of service (QoS)
- Written in illustrative/instructional
manner while maintaining technical depth
- rating on Amazon.com
- Technical longevity and relevance: Still in-print after 11 years.
- Wrote this book
on weekends concurrent with a full-time, technical position at Cisco
- In-depth knowledge of core router system architectures: switch fabrics, control planes, embedded OS, memory, FIB, stacks, architecture and implementations.
- Capable scripting skills: Fluent in Python, MySQL, Linux, and regular expressions
Facebook Inc., Palo Alto, CA
Sr. Network Engineer, Network Engineering Team 10/2007 - Present
Design and architecture. Backbone, Data center, Optical. Python scripting. 5th Network Engineer to join Facebook.
Google Inc., Mountain View, CA
Sr. Network Engineer, Network Architecture Team 3/2004 - 10/2007
EMG Award Recipient. Design and architecture. Backbone, Data center, Optical. Python scripting. 10th Network Engineer to join Google.
Procket Networks, Inc., Milpitas, CA
Corporate Systems Engineering Manager (Team Lead) 7/2001 - 3/2004
Provided on-site technical support for installations and trials. Provided remote technical support for evaluations via mobile phone and email.
Provided hands-on evaluation support and troubleshooting for partners/resellers.
Analyzed customers' router configs; Translated configs to Procket syntax. Tested alpha releases, Filed bug reports, and Tested fixes. Wrote
functional and performance test plans. Maintained deep,
low-level understanding of hardware/software architecture. Coded
and Maintained a web-driven RFP knowledgebase (Linux, SQL, Python, CGI). Wrote
a router configuration translation tool in Python and Regular Expressions.
Provided technical consulting to Product Management. Wrote technical
paper on DoS Analysis and Mitigation techniques. Created and Presented technical/architectural
information for CTOs, GMs, VPs, and architects of Procket's largest customers
and partners. Created and Conducted technical presentations for seminars. Prioritized
roadmap items for opportunity base worldwide. Served as primary technical
resource to Business Development.
Zaffire, Inc., San
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer 2000
Conducted a webcasted, roadshow technical seminar
for 100's of analysts, investors, and customers. Created and Performed product
marketing presentations for customers and sales. Created and Presented technical
papers. Created product launch and tradeshow messaging and materials (team
member). Analyzed competitors and Created competitive messaging presentations.
Developed and Launched a marketing strategy based on Optical Services and
Service Agility. Participated in development test plans with Engineering.
Partnered with Product Management and Engineering on product enhancements.
Assisted Product Managers with MRD/PRD documents.
Cisco Systems, Inc.,
San Jose, CA
Consulting Systems Engineer II, Western Area 1996
Designed large, complex networks spanning
IP routing and security, Provided technical consulting for Security,
MPLS & IPsec based VPNs, Served as primary security and VPN presenter/consultant, Delivered technical presentations
at Executive Briefing Center, Partnered with Product Marketing and Engineering
on product enhancements, feature requests, competition.
Specialist in Design, Deployment, Integration, and Migration of: Firewalls, VPN, IPsec, Cryptography, DoS prevention, IDS, AAA, QoS, Video Conferencing, VoIP, Broadcast and On-demand Networked Video, High-Availability.
Global Accounts SE for Oracle Corporation, Sun Microsystems. Regional SE for Stanford University.
Co-Managed a data/voice/video roadshow demonstration system. Delivered a 4-hour technical seminar to external audience. Built and Managed region and sales tools websites. Published
competitive documents. Delivered Routing and Switching, QoS, Conferencing,
and Security/VPN training. Built web backend
system (CGI, Python). CCIE
Review Board member: Co-Authored exam questions for the CCIE exams.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
University of California, Los Angeles, Electrical
Cisco Certified Internetworking Expert (CCIE), #3262. Re-certified 3 times. Now inactive.
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- "Scaling Networks in Large Data Centers", Invited paper, OFC/NFOEC, 3/2011, Los Angeles.
- "Software-Defined Transceivers Applications", Software-defined Transceivers panel, OFC/NFOEC, 3/2011, Los Angeles.
- "Web-Company Network Business Model", OSA Executive Forum, 3/2011, Los Angeles.
- "Massive-scale Data Centers & Cloud Computing", Cloud computing panel, OFC/NFOEC, 3/2011, Los Angeles.
- "Requirements of Large Data Centers", Marketwatch Panel, OFC/NFOEC, 3/2011, Los Angeles.
- "IPv6 Initiatives at Facebook", V6 World Congress, 2/9/2011, Paris.
- "IPv6 How It All Began", panel, V6 World Congress, 2/10/2011, Paris.
- "LISP Use & Discussion", Cisco Live Europe, 2/3/2011, London.
- "Networking for Massive-Scale Data Centers", Cisco Live Europe, 2/1/2011, London.
- "World IPv6 Day and IPv6 at Facebook", IPv6 Consumer Electronics Summit, 1/20/2011, San Jose.
- Article: "World IPv6 Day: Solving the IP Address Chicken-and-Egg Challenge," Facebook Engineering Blog, 1/12/2011.
- "IPv6 Network Engineering and Content Delivery at Facebook", 10/3/2010, gogoNET Live, San Jose, CA
- "LISP Deployment at Facebook", Cisco Network Architecture Geeks Conference, 10/2010, San Jose, CA
- "LISP Deployment at Facebook", NANOG 50, 10/2010, Atlanta, GA
- "Networking Content-rich Data Centers", OSA Photonic Switching, 7/26/2010, Monterey, CA.
- "Data Center Interconnects: Now and Future", IEEE Photonics Society, Summer Topicals, 7/20/2010, Cancun, Mexico.
- "LISP: A New Internet Architecture", panel, Cisco Live, 6/29/2010, Las Vegas.
- Huawei, engineering department, invited talk, Santa Clara, CA.
- "IPv6 at Facebook", Google IPv6 Implementors Conference, 6/10/2010, Mountain View, CA.
- Opnext, sales meeting, invited talk, Fremont, CA.
- VMware, engineering, invited talk, Palo Alto, CA.
- "Goals for Deployments Beyond 100G", OSA Executive Forum, 3/22/2010, San Diego.
- "Web Company View of Data Center Interconnects", Network Technologies for Large Data Centers panel, OFC/NFOEC, 3/22/2010, San Diego.
- "100G Applications", Ethernet Summit 2010, 2/25/2010, San Jose.
- "Ethernet Fabrics and Data Center Requirements", Ethernet Summit 2010, 2/25/2010, San Jose.
- "Applying Ethernet to Large-Scale Datacenter Fabrics", Ethernet Alliance Technology Exploration Forum, 2/2/2010, Santa Clara.
- "Pushing the Envelope: 100G and Beyond", Finisar Inc., Invited talk, 1/29/2010, Sunnyvale.
- "Life Beyond 100G", OIDA 18th Annual Forum, 12/1/2009, Santa Clara.
- "Emerging Technologies and Business Architectural Impact" (panel), MPLS 2009, 10/26/2009, Washington DC.
- "Beyond 100GE for the Datacenter", Ethernet Alliance Technology Exploration Forum, 9/15/2009, Santa Clara, CA.
- "Network Evolution From a Web Company Point of View", IEEE Photonics Society, Summer Topicals, 7/20/2009, Newport Beach, CA.
- Presenter, DesignCon, 2/2008, San Jose.
- Presenter, Cisco Network Architecture Geeks conference, 5/2008, San Jose.
- Panelist, NGDC, 8/2008, San Francisco.
- Panelist, Service Provider Summit, OFC, 2/2008, San Diego.
- Panelist, Marketwatch conference, OFC, 2/2008, San Diego.
- External executive speaker, Cisco Distinguished Engineers/Fellows meeting, 4/2008, San Jose.
- Adva Enterprise Day, 5/15/2008, New York.
- "Facebook and Social Networking Environment and Challenges", Cisco Network Architecture Geeks conference, 5/20/2008, San Jose.
- 100G and DWDM: Application Requirements, Network and Service Architecture, OFC/NFOEC 2/2008.
- 100GE: The Path Forward, Cisco NAG conference, 6/2007.
- Networking with 1/10/40/100G: Design and Deployment Perspective, IEEE 802.3 Interim meeting, 4/2007.
- Saturating 100G and 1T Pipes, IEEE 802.3 Plenary meeting, 3/2007.
- The Internet Factory Floor [datacenters], Cisco NAG conference, 12/2006.
SPECIFIC TECHNICAL SKILLS
Python, CGI/HTML, Linux/Unix, MySQL/SQL, Regular Expressions.
Routing/Switching, BGP, OSPF, IS-IS, TCP/IP, MPLS, RSVP-TE, Multicast,
PIM, ATM, Frame Relay, Ethernet, VLAN, Netflow, Juniper, Junos XML, QoS, DiffServ, Optical,
EDFA, DWDM, VoIP, Video, RAID.
Firewalls, VPN, IPsec, IDS, DoS mitigation,
Public Key Cryptography.
Available on request.
Revision date: 3/2011
Copyright 2000-2011 by Donn Lee