Flushed with the success of our first kiln, we reconvened three weeks later for our second firing armed with some old kiln shelves and two rolls of ceramic fibre.

The brick work had been already completed by Geoff ! 

This is the wall of the firebox and ash pit before adding the floor of the chamber. As you can see, we have now widened the chamber by inserting an additional brick


Looking down on the kiln from the back.

You can see that the floor of the chamber is now formed from old kiln shelves, which enabled us to span the extra width.

At the back, is the start of the chimney.


Looking down on the roof, which we made from four thicknesses of ceramic fibre, backed by a piece of metal grating. Ceramic "buttons" were used to tie the fibre to the grating.

This enabled the whole roof to be easily lifted and allow the kiln to be loaded from the top

The chimney has been extended with a length of steel pipe, and, this time, we used fire clay, grogged with sand, to fill any gaps and cover the face of the bricks in the chamber.




Firing up for the first time.

This time we used an old free standing grate in the firebox. In retrospect, this was rather too low, with not enough space below for the ash pit, and it would have been better if we had stood it on bricks.

Not sure however, if it will survive a second firing since it 'sagged' rather badly this time, so we may have to look at a different solution.

We started the firing at  2:30 in the afternoon and did the final stoking around 1:00 AM. By this time the chimney was really drawing with about 4 feet of red flame protruding from it.

We did position some  cones this time, you can see the bung hole in the picture above, just under half way along the side wall, but, unfortunately, the lowest cone we  used, which was 06 (1000 C), fell over quite early on and the others did not melt so we don't know exactly what temperature we achieved. 

Looking into the chamber immediately after lifting off the roof.

All the glazes had melted so I reckon we must have achieved close to 1000 C. I was particularly pleased with a Raku glaze, which I coloured with red iron oxide. It came out a greeny colour in most parts of the kiln (see the pot in the center), but the same glaze on the inside of the large pot positioned in the throat of the kiln, came out a beautiful mottled rusty red.



The outside of this pot was left unglazed, burnished then seaweed wired tightly to the pot with copper wire.

The result is definitely my most successful pot to date :)

Can't wait for the next firing !

Our first kiln